To support OCBC’s commitment towards going green, some of the initiatives implemented were:
- One tree planted for every 50 cyclists registered.
- Stop the usage of single-use plastic in event pack collection.
- Issue event bibs in wood-free paper envelopes.
- Wrap event medals in tracing paper.
- Organise workshops on recycling and up-cycling.
- Replace trophies for OCBC Cycle Speedway Championships with reusable steel tumblers from Hydro Flask.
- Repurpose event banners and used plastic containers into useful items, such as tote bags and furniture.
- Compost fruit peels into plant fertilisers.
These efforts earned OCBC Cycle 2019 the Singapore Environment Council’s Eco Event Certification – the first event to receive such a certification.