About the ProjectOCBC Cycle Singapore aims to promote a safe, premium cycling platform where participants comes together to ride safely on closed roads in the heart of the city. OCBC Cycle Singapore also aims to incorporate safe cycling as a way of life. Over the weekend on 11 and 12 May 2019, the event gave nearly 6,800 cyclists a chance to bond with their families and friends.
In the fifth year of organising OCBC Cycle, OCBC has decided to shine a light on global warming as it is one of the biggest environmental factors that requires action taken now. With that, green initiatives were to make a positive impact towards the environment by reducing the event’s carbon footprint.
SolutionTo support OCBC’s commitment towards going green, some of the initiatives implemented were:
- One tree planted for every 50 cyclists registered.
- Stop the usage of single-use plastic in event pack collection.
- Issue event bibs in wood-free paper envelopes.
- Wrap event medals in tracing paper.
- Organise workshops on recycling and up-cycling.
- Replace trophies for OCBC Cycle Speedway Championships with reusable steel tumblers from Hydro Flask.
- Repurpose event banners and used plastic containers into useful items, such as tote bags and furniture.
- Compost fruit peels into plant fertilisers.